Downtown Vancouver Local Area Attractions
With so many world-class attractions to explore, planning your Vancouver sightseeing itinerary can be a daunting task. To make things easier, here’s a listing of some of the city’s most popular and worthwhile attractions. You’ll also want to check out our listings of local events and nearby nightlife spots. If you need more ideas on local attractions, visit Tourism Vancouver.
Vancouver is famous for its beautiful mountains, spectacular beaches, and these popular local attractions, all within a stone’s throw of our hotel.
- Vancouver Aquarium: Get Face-to-fin with over 70,000 marine animals
- Vancouver Lookout: Offers a 360 degree bird’s-eye view of downtown Vancouver and the North Shore
- Stanley Park Horse-Drawn Tours: A century old tradition and storytelling adventure
- Capilano Suspension Bridge: Naturally Thrilling Since 1889, now with tree-top adventures!
- Museum of Anthropology: Canada’s contemporary museum of world arts and culture
- HR. MacMillan Planetarium: Explore the cosmos with a state-of-the art shows and exhibits
- Fly Over Canada: You will take off into a huge dome screen with the latest in projection and ride technology creating a true flying experience (complete with wind, scents, and mist!)
Simply look up at the horizon in Vancouver and you’ll see that we’re blessed with some of the most spectacular mountains in Canada. Take to the slopes on these popular peaks:
- Grouse Mountain: The “Peak of Vancouver”, home to grizzly bears, wolves, skating and winter sports.
- Cyprus Bowl: Vancouver’s alpine Olympic home to snowboarding and freestyle skiing
- Mount Seymour – North Vancouver’s hidden winter gem
- Whistler/Blackcomb – The world’s best skiing and snowboarding wonderland
- Big White Ski Resort – Interior British Columbia home of Champagne Powder
- Mount Baker – Just 45 minutes south of the border in Washington State
Vancouver is a shopaholic’s paradise, home to chic boutiques, big-name retailers and large shopping malls.
- Pacific Center Shopping Mall: Downtown Vancouver’s premier shopping centre, home to the Bay, Topman and much more.
- Metropolis at Metrotown: Metro Vancouver’s largest and most popular mall.
- Park Royal Shopping: The hub of shopping on Vancouver’s scenic and exclusive North Shore
- Granville Island Marketplace: An eclectic mix of markets, local artisans, funky boutiques and world-class seafood restaurants.
- Richmond Centre: Shop at big-name stores without the big crowds, just 20 minutes south of Vancouver.
- Central City Shopping: Located in nearby Surrey, includes a brewery and state-of-the art university.
- Guildford Town Center: Lots of shopping and great deals to be had at this large mall in Surrey.
Immerse yourself in Vancouver’s spectacular natural surroundings by embarking on an sightseeing adventure with these tour companies.
A Walk on the Wild Side
Thrills and excitement await you at these awesome attractions, sure to create memories that last a lifetime, for better or worse!
- Adreneline Body Piercing & Tattoo – Professional body piercing and tattooing
- Little Sister’s Book & Art Emporium – Adult-oriented shop; a Davie Village institution for 3 decades
- Edgewater Casino – Downtown Vancouver waterfront casino gaming
- Hastings Park Racetrack & Casino – Bred for Excitement! Live horse racing and slots
- River Rock Casino Resort – Richmond casino and theatre
- Boulevard Casino Coquitlam – Casino and theatre entertainment
Vancouver is home to several professional sports franchises, so there’s always a big game to catch, no matter what time of year you visit.
- Vancouver Canucks Hockey: 18,000 hockey-crazed fans pack Rogers Arena for every game our city’s NHL franchise plays.
- BC Lions Football: A perennial championship contender in the Canadian Football League, the BC Lions boast a 60-year history and large fanbase.
- Vancouver Whitecaps Soccer: This MLS franchise is quickly becoming one of the city’s most popular sporting attractions.
Vancouver’s a big place, so why not leave the driving up to someone else and take a guided tour of the city’s historic sites and cultural treasures.
- The Vancouver Trolley Company – Vancouver’s best hop-on, hop-off sightseeing company
- West Coast Siteseeing – Vancouver’s best escorted city tours, also offering Whistler tours and Victoria tours
- Dominion Tours – Vancouver Spanish (Espanol) Language City Tours
- CCIT Canada – Vancouver Chinese Language City Tours – Ni Hao Vancouver
- Intrepid Urban Adventures – Vancouver walking & biking tours
Dining in Vancouver
Vancouver’s world-class dining scene is inspired by our city’s multicultural mosaic and fuelled by our region’s abundance of fresh seafood and organic produce. Here are a few of our favourite nearby restaurants. To easily make reservations at these and other Vancouver restaurants, visit OpenTable.
- The Morrissey Public House – Not surprisingly, we love our onsite pub and restaurant, which serves amazing food in the coolest digs on Granville.
- The Refinery – A market-style eatery with a large wine list and market-fresh, locally-sourced dishes
- Ten Ten Tapas – Waterfront tapas bar with live jazz
- C Restaurant – The upper echelon of Vancouver seafood restaurants
- Smoke’s Poutinerie – World-famous poutine (fries, gravy & cheese curds) made in the authentic Canadian style
Just a few hours from Vancouver by ferry, Victoria is a city with its own set of world-class attractions, both natural and cultural, including:
- Royal BC Museum – Where the past lives – See all of BC in one afternoon!
- Miniature World – The greatest little show on earth
- Undersea Gardens – Descend beneath the sea in Victoria
- Craigdarroch Castle – Victoria’s legendary 19th-century landmark
- The Butchart Gardens – National Historic Site of Canada – 100 Years in Bloom!